Vegan Chickpea Noodle Soup
As winter approaches, I find myself wanting to cook soup more often. One of my favorite cookbooks, Veganomicon, has a recipe for Chickpea Noodle Soup. I’ve made it several times, tweaking it to my liking each time. Recently I finally perfected it (to my taste, anyway) and I thought I’d share my version of this yummy comfort food!
Chickpea Noodle Soup
(adapted from Veganomicon)
- 1 T olive oil for sauteing vegetables
- 1 medium sized yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 c carrots, peeled & sliced
- 1 c celery, sliced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary (dried is fine too)
- fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- 8 oz (uncooked) spaghetti noodles*
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 5 c vegetable broth
- 2 c water
- salt to taste
- Saute chopped onions in olive oil until they start to soften. Add garlic, carrots, celery, thyme, rosemary and pepper and saute for 2-3 minutes longer.
- Add the chickpeas, water and vegetable broth and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add spaghetti noodles (break them into thirds first to make for easier eating), and simmer until spaghetti noodles are cooked. Add salt to taste (I use the regular sodium veggie broth and then only add a little salt).
I’ve made this for some omnivores and they all comment how much it tastes like Chicken Noodle soup. And while I don’t want to eat any chickens, there is something comforting about eating a food from your childhood – or rather, a cruelty free version of that childhood food!
Nutrition Info (1/6th of batch)